Friday, July 16, 2010

For the Love of Laundry

I'm not sure when it happened, but somehow - recently - I've developed an affinity for doing laundry. Seriously. What the heck is wrong with me?
I look forward to emptying everyone's hampers while they're still asleep in the morning and getting a load started first thing. As soon as I hear the dryer buzzer I feel a slight twinge of delight as I anticipate smoothing and folding.
Perhaps it's because it's summertime, meaning my laundryroom counter is not lost beneath stacks of books and school projects. Perhaps it's because having the house for sale for 7 months has caused me to form good habits, including keeping up with wash everyday. I think, however, it is the satisfaction I feel after I've transformed the jumble of clothes fresh from the dryer into nice neat piles ready to be delivered to the appropriate bedrooms (where they'll no doubt sit on the kids' dressers until I threaten consequences if they aren't put away.) As well, I have found that when I'm folding, no one seems to offer to help...meaning mommy gets a few moments of p & q.
There is nothing that compares to the joy of discovering that stain is gone, the dishtowels don't smell sour, and Matt's workout clothes that he wore yesterday are fresh and clean and ready to accept another brutal sweat-fest.
Wow. Re-reading this, I've decided I have waaay too much time on my hands... and I still have another 10 hours until I get to wash another load!

2 comments:

  1. I wish I would catch the laundry washing bug...my basement floor would thank me. Someday I'll catch up, hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's taken me 17 years to get to this point. I really do think it's because of all the factors I listed. Right now Matt and 2 kids have poison ivy, so I'm tripling my wash load everyday with all the bedsheets and stuff. It's wonderful. : )

    ReplyDelete