Sunday, April 3, 2011

To Have and Have Not

I remember an incident when I was a teenager that is forever ingrained in my memory. I was at the mall with my mom and I saw a clothing item that I really, really liked.  It was on sale and I asked my mother if she would buy it for me.  She said no, and I'm sure she gave me a reason but I don't recall what it was.  However, I clearly remember her saying, "Well, look at it this way: not getting what you want builds character!".
Many times over the past 2 years or so I've asked the Lord for things I think my children or I deserve, but His answer has been "no". Everytime I realize that my desires are not going to be fulfilled at that time, I recall those words from my mom. God is building character in me and in my children.  Those tangible things, or experiences, or the words I want to hear, or whatever it is that I've asked for are being withheld so that He can work in me.  He uses the "no" and "not yet" to draw me closer to the character of Christ. He knows better than me what is beneficial and what is detrimental, and I need to trust Him. It's that simple.
Yes, things really suck for us right now.  My heart aches for things that you would not even think of, and they may not ever come to pass.  If God chooses, He might fulfill those desires, or He may take the desire from me completely. But until then, I will wait, and trust, and thank the Lord that He is our loving Abba Father who does supply our needs, and sometimes our wants.

No comments:

Post a Comment