Monday, October 4, 2010

"Ree!"

That is how old Luke is, as of today.  I'd been planning for a week to make him a Lego cake, but suddenly a few days ago he said he wanted a "doggy".  I don't know where that idea came from, but who am I to disappoint the birthday boy?
I baked it this morning and then decorated it in between teaching, laundry and everything else that beckons me around here.  I was the mean mommy who wouldn't let the girls help, but that's only because it's been so long since I've made a cake by myself. I'm usually happy to let little hands pour and mix, but my creative juices were flowing and I didn't want to be hindered. It was so much fun to make!

I used this for inspiration


I baked a 9x13 cake and drew a template on waxed paper,  then used the template to cut the cake into a dog shape.  I'm not crazy about the platter it's on, but it's all I have.  Wanna guess where all my cake platters are?  Anyone???

The crumb coat.  Not pretty, but definitely worth the trouble. I then froze it for an hour or so.

The top layer of icing covers the crumb coat.  Much nicer!

Ah, finished! A little rootbeer flavoring in the chocolate icing added some subtle pizzazz.

My sweet three-year-old saw his cake and said, "Thank you Mommy! Woof! Woof!"

No comments:

Post a Comment