Sunday, October 17, 2010

A Most Wonderful Season

I love Fall.  (Ok, let me clarify that: I love Fall as long as the temperatures stay reasonably warm. I am not a fan of cold weather -- blame that on growing up near Lake Michigan, where we were the recipients of  "Lake Effect" snow and temps for several months every year. Blahhhh. But alas, I digress.)
Regardless, I really DO love Fall, with the lovely colors displayed softly throughout Creation as nature prepares for winter. The excitement of college football, the smell of coffee brewing on a crisp morning, and fresh air streaming through open windows just seems to have a comforting effect. It's also pumpkin season, which means we get to be very creative in the kitchen.  Yesterday morning Matt made pumpkin pancakes with walnuts, oat flour and flax seed and they were sensational!
I mentioned in a previous post that I'm deeply disappointed that I can't dress our home and porch for the season, since all of our Fall and harvest decorations are packed away in Indiana.  I admit I get a little teary-eyed when I see our neighbors' cute scarecrows and hay bales and giant yellow and orange mums; yet this season of life for us has been one for which I will be forever grateful. God has done much planting and pruning in our family over the past eleven months, and I humbly believe we are now able to bear the fruit that comes from brokeness. This year I've seen my children grow in character and wisdom beyond what I thought were their capabilities.  Likewise, issues that have beset me my entire life have been lovingly dealt with and forgiven by our Abba Father. Our sacrifices and hardships have not weakened us but rather strengthened us -- both relationally and spiritually.
 I find great hope in these words from James 1:2-4: "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." (NIV)
  Things may get even more difficult for us before they get better, but I have hope.  I have seen God's faithfulness over and over again. Though this trial has been longer than we'd ever imagined, it has produced a great deal of growth and fruit. For that reason, it is truly a season of thankfulness.



No comments:

Post a Comment