Sunday, October 24, 2010

A Good Day

It's 4:59 Sunday afternoon and we're finishing another openhouse. Once again, no one came through. Zero, zilch, nada. But that's okay. The house is clean from top to bottom and I look forward to a relaxing evening with the family. (If you haven't ever seen the CBS show "Undercover Boss", I highly recommend it. It's one of the few truly enjoyable shows on tv. Looking forward to watching it tonight.)
Here's why I'm posting, however -- it's not to announce that we put forth another fruitless effort. It's to tell you what the Lord did in my heart this morning. Let me back up to when I was taking down our signs after the visitor-less openhouse last Sunday. Last Sunday I was asking the Lord for direction and He put Jeremiah 29:13 on my heart. It says, "You will seek me and find me. When you seek me with all your heart I will be found by you..."
I know He didn't "accidently" deposit that verse into my mind. It was a gentle prompting. Since then I've been praying that He will teach me what it means to truly seek Him.
Back to today: I heard about something nice that happened to someone I know. Instead of being happy for them, I used it to start whining to myself about the tough times my family is in. I snapped at Matt and allowed myself to become miserable. I started having a good, old-fashioned pity party. Almost immediately, the Holy Spirit convicted me. He brought to mind the exhortation to "carry eachother's burden and share eachother's joys". I'm pretty good at bearing other peoples' burdens but I definitely lack in the area of sharing others' joy. That was one of the reasons I quit Facebook a few months ago -- because I was tired of hearing how great everyone else's life was. Real mature on my part, huh? I realized that I often allow covetousness or envy to give me a bad attitude rather than thanking the Lord for others' good fortune. I was very embarassed and ashamed when that realization hit me.
I'm grateful for the conviction from my loving, Heavenly Father. I'm thankful that He's teaching me how to truly seek Him, and that He's changing my heart. My prayer is that He will continue to work in me, and teach me how to share in others' joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment