Saturday, September 18, 2010

A Few (More) of My Favorite Things

  Here's my latest list of stuff that makes me happy:

 Rival's 18-qt Roaster Oven
  Matt bought this several years ago and because of its size I kept it in the attic, pulling it out only occasionally to roast turkeys for holidays.  However, a few months ago I was chatting with a total stranger at 7-11 and she mentioned that she uses her roaster oven to keep breakfast burritos warm all morning. I remarked that I thought it was a great idea, and she told me she uses it all the time for baking, etc.
Well, sheesh!  Why hadn't I thought of that?  This summer was so hot here in Oklahoma, I didn't turn on our kitchen oven for 2 months straight to avoid heating the house.  But the roaster oven -- now there's a solution!
In the past two weeks I've used it to bake chicken enchiladas, pound cake, snack mixes, breakfast strata, meatloaf, sweet potato fries, brownies, and I even roasted a turkey. Every item I've baked in it has turned out perfect. Also, if we ever go camping (yeah, right) it would make a great portable cooking device.

Glade Candles
I admit I've always been a candle skeptic, but these Glade candles infused with essential oils have made a believer out of me.  These little guys cost less than $3 each and they smell great!  We light one in each bathroom and the kitchen before showing the house.  They produce a light but noticeable fragrance and there is a variety of scents from which to choose.  Bonus: I always seem to find coupons for them when it's time to add to the collection.

Craisins and Blue Diamond Almonds
My favorite snack is dried cranberries and roasted almonds. I could live on these.  Ok, maybe not, but I'm always overjoyed when Matt returns from Sam's with a 5-lb. bag of Craisins and a huge jar of almonds roasted with sea salt.  (This little can is its replacement since I've already polished off the big one.) As well, both make great additions to salads, baked goods and my morning protein shake. The kids love them, too!


The Master Suite

Lastly, my favorite spot in the house is this chair in our bedroom.  I love to sit here with my morning coffee, reading my Bible or writing this blog as the sunlight peeks through the blinds.  In the evening it's where I read to the younger kids before bed and watch tv with the older ones.  There is a companion chair on the other side of the room, so Matt and I have a cozy place to have our conversations.  It's  my own little corner of the world.



No comments:

Post a Comment