Sunday, July 11, 2010

A Work In Progress

"For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Ephesians 2:10
We had our openhouse today. I was cautiously optimistic that this would be the day we'd receive an offer. Upon returning home we were informed by the realtor that no one came through the house. Disappointing, absolutely - but there is still peace in my heart.
All weekend long I've been keenly aware that God has a specific purpose in all of this. Today was confirmation that though He's doing a work in me, it is not finished yet. The best way to describe it is that I am like a piece of furniture being prepared to be refinished. He has stripped off every remnant of the old finish -- all of the superficial junk and shiny varnish and the stuff that looks good at first glance but is very flawed once scrutinized. He's stripping all of that away to get down to the bare wood. It's not pretty, but it's ready to be re-finished. It's in the perfect condition for Him to do His work. His work is slow and careful. It does not happen all at once but rather one stroke at a time.
The work He's done in our family, in our marriage, and in my personal life is a gift. This trial we've been in for the past 8 months has changed my life forever, for the good and for His glory. It's a slow work, tended to by a careful, loving Master. When He is finished, I want my life to reveal His workmanship.

No comments:

Post a Comment