Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Trivial Things I've Pondered

I waste a lot of time asking myself questions that have no answer. I don't know why I obsess over such things; I just do.
Case in point: everytime I see a shoe lying in the road, I ask myself "How did that get there? Did someone have their feet hanging out the window and the shoe fell off? Did some little kid throw it out the window? Did it fall off the back of a pickup truck?" Shoes don't belong in the middle of a busy street. Somewhere, someone is missing one shoe! It drives me nuts!

Secondly, basic white pasta tastes the same no matter what shape it's in. So why do certain forms seem to complement specific entrees better than others? For example, why do we serve beef stroganoff with egg noodles instead of rotini? Why don't restaurants serve alfredo sauce with elbow macaroni; instead, it's traditionally served with angel hair or penne? The pasta is all made from the same ingredients, so why do we serve it based on its shape? Anyone, anyone?

Also, who came up with the idea of drinking the liquid that cows emit from their teats? That took some desperate creativity...or perhaps creative desperation.

Why aren't ALL Crayola markers washable? Why do they even bother making non-washable ones? I don't mean Sharpies; I'm talking about childrens' markers.

Another one: just because a certain brand of food advertises that it's got 1/3 less fat than another, does that it necessarily mean it's true? Sure, the nutritional information on the package says so, but what if they're lying? We will never know for sure, will we? Hmmmm....

Toothpaste: Every brand pretty much contains all of the same ingredients, so what makes one better than another? Ditto with laundry detergent and also ketchup.

I've said my peace. Questions asked, never to be answered. But life will go on.

1 comment:

  1. I laughed so hard! You are so funny! BTW, I've wondered about the pasta thing. But, as far as laundry detergent goes...I've got to buy Tide. It really does seem to work better. Just my opinion. Keep writing! I love it! Also, I like your new background!

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete