Friday, June 25, 2010

Peace Beyond Understanding

The other night was a rough one. On top of everything else swirling about us right now,we'd found out that day that Matt's unemployment benefits expired. Trying to figure out where groceries are going to come from next week as well as dealing with a bum deal I got schnukered into from a seller on ebay when I bought Zac's birthday gift, my nerves were shot and my emotions were high. I finally fell asleep around 1 am, exhausted and stressed.
Nate woke up at 4 am. After I fed him and put him back in his bed, I cried out to God. I told Him how I couldn't handle one more thing. I truly felt like I had reached the proverbial end of my rope and the thought of having to get up in the morning and deal with everything all over again was just too much. Matt had reminded me often in the past months that God doesn't give us more than we can handle, but in that moment I knew I had reached that point: I DID have more than I could deal with. I felt crushed by the weight of the unknown and the burden of another day filled with "no" and "not yet". I somehow managed to fall asleep again - this time on the floor by our bed with my computer in front of me. (Yeah, that was weird.)
I awakened at the usual 6:30-ish, with my laptop glaring at me after leaving it on and unattended for those past few hours. Regardless, I felt re-energized and was awash in an inexplicable sense of peace. It was as if the Lord had enveloped me with His arms and given me new eyes to see our situation from a different perspective. I immediately knew how I had to deal with the ebay seller -- just forgive her, let it go and move on. I had so much peace about that!
The other issues didn't seem so monumentous either. The journey we're on doesn't seem so scary anymore. God had not brought us this far to leave us. He didn't teach us to swim just to let us drown. He holds us in His hand...He'll take care of us. If I am following His will and doing everything He leads me to do, He'll fill in the gaps.
I've slept so much better the past few nights. I'm at peace. This will all work out.
~Rebecca

1 comment:

  1. You have no idea how much I can relate to this...I may have to send you a private message on fb!

    ReplyDelete