Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Weathering the Storm

Had a nice weekend with Matt and Zac here in OK, though it definitely seemed too short. They left this morning for Indiana and arrived safely despite driving through a snowstorm for most of their trip.
As for me, I've been combating a different kind of storm recently. The brutal truth is that it's been so hard to feel motivated to pray lately. Though in the past I have found solace in the verse "Cease striving and know that I am God" (Psalm 46:9 NAS), in my humanity and sinful nature I've grown impatient. I've often pondered --how long must we wait for God to make a way for us? How long must we be dependent on unemployment checks, while Matt's giftings and talents for business lay dormant? Our house has been on the market for 3 weeks, and we've had only one showing so far. When, o when, Lord, will you move your Hand toward us?
In my despair tonight, God spoke to me through a posting on Facebook. Who would have thought it, right? I quite by accident stumbled across a page entitled "31 Days of Prayer for Your Husband". Today's entry was Day 8 of the challenge:
"Pray that your husband will work hard to provide for your family, to the best of his ability. Pray that the character qualities necessary for a successful career and ministry will be a growing part of his character - persistance, decisiveness, strength, an analytical mind, organizational skills, positive relationships with people, determination, etc. (Rom. 12:11, 1 Cor. 15:58)"
Somehow, that posting has inspired me. I feel like my focus got derailed and God used those words to put me back on track. This is how I need to be praying! When I flounder in the sea of doubt and unbelief, I lose sight of everything that God is doing in our lives. He's building character and humility in Matt and me. If I'm asking Him to pour His character into Matt so that he will be successful at whatever job he does, it is much easier to hope and believe that he will have a job soon.
Though it is abrupt, I'm going to leave it at that for now. My tendancy to over-talk may take away from what the Lord is saying. So with that said, good night. Love to you all.

1 comment:

  1. Your faith and humility is inspiring. It IS hard to be patient and believe that things will work out. The Lord has his own time table. Uggg!!! That can make things tough. But, it is such a miracle because things will work out, and in the process you will learn. Isn't God wonderful that way? I struggle with praying too! But I know He waits for me to. He is our parent. He loves us. He wants to hear from us.

    Cynthia

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete